Qualified Laterals must have 3 or more years of Law Enforcement experience with a 911 responding agency. Laterals may qualify for their Intermediate and/or Advanced Certifications within a year of employment.
Laterals are offered an expedited screening process to minimize trips during the process.
Oregon’s certifying body, the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) honors most out of state academy training. For example, laterals from California only take a 2-week course.
Ready to make the move?
Our competitive pay and benefit package includes:
Annual salary (DOEE):
(Step B + 2% ORPAT)
(Step F + 2% ORPAT + 10% Incentives)
Education/Certifications Incentives (10% max*)
The following salary incentives shall be applied to monthly base salary upon hire if applicable/approved, and/or as received and assigned/approved.
- 2% for Physical Fitness**
- 6% for Bachelor’s Degree***
- 3% for Associate’s Degree***
- 6% DPSST Advanced Officer
- 3% DPSST Intermediate
- 5% for Detectives
- 5% for Field Training Officer
- 5% for Advanced Spanish
- 3% for Intermediate Spanish
New Hire Incentives
- Up to $2,000 reimbursement of one-time moving related expenses for out-of-area lateral police officers moving to Albany, Oregon. (Must live further than 50 miles from Albany, Oregon to be eligible for moving expense reimbursement.)
- City-provided uniforms, duty weapon, equipment and uniform cleaning
- City-paid annual firearms range membership
- Discounted gym membership
*Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, total education and DPSST certification incentive combined will not exceed ten (10%) percent at one time.
**Must complete ORPAT within 5:30 annually to maintain incentive. To view ORPAT information, click here. To view the ORPAT video, click here.
***Degree may be in any field of study.